With school starting across the country, teachers and students aren't the only ones jumping into action, parents play a crucial role during the school year too. In fact, Fall is the busiest season for School-Parent Groups (PTA, PTO, HSA, etc.). It’s all hands on deck for staffing fundraisers, such as the carnival and book fair, coordinating volunteers for the library, cafeteria and art programs, and helping the teacher with class activities and celebrations.
Whether you're the parent doing the planning or you're pitching in where you can, don't miss these top five digital tools that make it easy to get organized, engage parents and give our kids the best education possible.
- VolunteerSpot: Skip the illegible paper sign-up sheets and say NO to frustrating ‘reply-all’ email chains this year. When it’s your turn to plan the fundraiser, organize the classroom helpers or bring the snacks to the party – quickly get the help you need with free online sign-up sheets from VolunteerSpot. Specify what you want parents to do or bring, and invite them to sign up, 24/7 from their smartphone or computer – no passwords required. With VolunteerSpot's automated reminders and e-calendar sync, you’ll enjoy stress-free planning and more parents participating.
- DonorsChoose: Celebrate and support your teachers by funding needed class programs and supplies with DonorsChoose. Invite your teachers to submit projects online and your parent community to help fund them. A project can be anything – from bean bags, finger paints, and digital cameras for kindergarten, to microscopes, robot sensors and band uniforms for high school.
- Change.org: The world's largest petition platform, Change.org empowers school parents to create the change they want to see in their school, district and community. Interested in preserving funding for art programs, getting healthier choices in the cafeteria, expanding sports programs or stopping bullying? Change.org brings a collective voice to your campus and beyond.
- DirectorySpot: Manage your school directory on the go with DirectorySpot! Say goodbye to hunting for the school directory in the glove compartment or kitchen – parents will love the instant access and quick connections to other school parents from the convenience of their iPhone or Android smartphone. The directory can be customized with your school colors, logo or mascot.
- Trello: Project management is a breeze with the comprehensive but simple-to-use online Trello tool. Set up To Do lists, tasks, reminders, alerts and even share important documents with fellow school leaders and parent volunteers; great for planning big fundraisers, ongoing school campaigns and more.