WhatsApp is a service that is designed to be used primarily on your smartphone. However, WhatsApp is also easy to use on your computer using the WhatsApp Desktop app for Windows PC or Mac. Here’s how.
1. Make sure you have a WhatsApp account on your phone and you are logged in. If you don’t have a WhatsApp account, you can download WhatsApp for iOS or Android and create an account.
2. Download and install WhatsApp for Windows 10 (WhatsApp for Windows 8 and Windows 10 32-bit is also available) or WhatsApp for Max OS X 10.10 and higher. You'll see a QR code that you will need in step 7 below.
3. Open WhatsApp on your phone.
4. In WhatsApp, go to Menu for Android phone (triple dots) or Settings for iPhones (cog icon).
5. Select WhatsApp Web for Android or WhatsApp Web/Desktop for iPhone.
6.Select Link a Device
7. Use your phone’s camera to view the QR code in the WhatsApp Desktop app from step 2 above.. The QR code automatically links your phone’s WhatsApp account to WhatsApp Desktop.
8. Now, you should see your WhatsApp conversations in the Desktop app on your computer.
WhatsApp Desktop uses your phone to sync messages, so will only receive messages on your computer when your phone is on and logged into WhatsApp. Also, you can only be logged in to the WhatsApp Desktop app on one computer.
[Image credit: rose gold laptop with WhatsApp icon via BigStockPhoto, screenshots via Techlicious]